Friday, June 25, 2010

Goodbye, Sweet Bert.

If you know anything about me at all, then you know I don't like to sat goodbye, EVER.  I don't say goodbye on the phone, I hate goodbye in person and I hate the indefinite goodbyes until we get to Heaven.  Even as a child visiting my relatives in Mobile, I cried every time we left.  It hurts to leave behind those that you love. 

Well, today Bill and I had to do one of the the hardest things I have had to do in a long, long time.  We said goodbye to our dear precious dog, Bert.  Bill got him in March of 1998.  We were blessed to have such a great dog for so many years.  He was a puppy his whole life, always jumping and playing with us, but only us.  He played hard with his doggie soulmate, Berneice, but only her.  No other dogs allowed.  He guarded his friend, his owners and his home.  He was our protector.  He knew the sound of our vehicles and welcomed us with his loud bark every time we drove up.  He barked when Bill turned onto our street, just to let me know he was on the way.  He  barked the "other bark" when  anyone was anywhere near our home.

Bert was out guardian and would have laid down his life for us without hesitations. 

He had a very adventurous life for a dog.  He was shot when he was a little over a year old.  That is right, shot.  Someone shot our dog in his on fenced in back yard for no apparent reason.  But, thanks to  our wonderful vet, he over came that.  He had a couple of bouts with opossums, two very traumatic run ins with a raccoon, and he attacked a police officer for coming into his fence. 

He was a great friend and a part of our family that we will very much miss.  Bill and I both have somewhat soft hearts.  We love with everything we have.  We loved Bert just that way and we are hurting We are sad, and we are relying on the comforter to touch our hearts tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment