Sunday, October 11, 2009

Four Weeks and a little Baby Drama



Last week was a world wind. Our sweet baby started throwing up sporadically last Sunday. We saw the Dr. on Monday and otherwise, he was doing really well. He weighed 9 lbs and 5 oz and appeared completely healthy. We assumed we were dealing with a little reflux after eating, so we made some minor diet changes. Well throughout the week, the symptoms got worse and our sweet baby began getting sick more frequently. I was in constant contact with the Dr.'s office and we were trying different things to see if he got better. By Thursday afternoon, baby Will could not keep anything down. We spoke with his pediatrician and were directed to the Emergency Room at Children's. We were admitted Thursday night after an ultrasound and diagnosis of pyloric stenosis. This is apparently a fairly common thing presenting in first born males at approximately 3 weeks of age. Will was a classic text book case and was prepared for surgery. On Friday, October 9, 2009, I experienced one of the worst feelings I've ever had. I handed my baby over to strangers to take him to surgery. The only thing that allowed me to do that was I knew that Will was in Jesus' hands, not theirs. Jesus had already prepared every Doctor and Nurse that would touch our precious baby and Will was already healed (for by HIS stripes, we are healed).
Through this all, we have been reminded once again that God is in control. He knew what we would be facing and had already paved the path for Will's surgery and healing.


As I look back over this last week, I think about my Mom. I know she was there with us through the whole thing. I know that I draw from the strength she gained when she was a new mom. I think about my parents having to let them take me to surgery as a baby and know that they felt the same emotions, the same heartbreak and the same love for me that I feel for Will, in the same place. And I know that God was there with them then just was He was with us!

Today, Will is 4 weeks old. Four weeks is such a short time to fall completely and totally in love with someone and yet, we are there! Looking at our precious baby softens the hard parts of my heart. He is a reminder that our God is a kind, faithful, loving God that answers prayers and is still in the miracle business!

No comments:

Post a Comment